Thursday, July 31, 2008

Friday's Forgotten Book: Meeting Evil


I’m the only fan of Thomas Berger’s Meeting Evil (from 1992) that I know of. Everyone who has read the book on my recommendation has reported disliking it. I sympathize. The book is an uneasy marriage of the thriller, serial killer division (think Charlie Starkweather, not John Wayne Gacy) and classic farce (hero attempting to continue to play by the rules of polite society in the face of utter chaos). If you come for the thriller, the hero’s dilemmas will probably seem like unconscionable dithering; if you come for the farce, the villain’s mad cruelty may be too much to take. I remember loving every word of it.

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks again, Joe. I assume this is the Thomas Berger of NEIGHBORS. Great book, so-so movie