Friday, October 17, 2008

The Nightstand

Read:
The Moving Target, Ross MacDonald
Devil in a Blue Dress, Walter Mosley
A Diet of Treacle, Lawrence Block
Shooters, Terrill Lankford
Slide, Jason Starr & Ken Bruen
Fright, Cornell Woolrich
Consider The Lobster, David Foster Wallace
Protocol For A Kidnapping, Oliver Bleeck

Reading:
Human Smoke, Nicholson Baker
Born Standing Up, Steve Martin

Re-Read:
Put A Lid On It, Donald Westlake

Re-Reading:
Deadly Honeymoon, Lawrence Block

On-Deck:
The First Quarry, Max Allan Collins
The World in Six Songs, Daniel J. Levitin

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I would be interested in what you thought of Fright by Cornell Woolrich. He's another great writer that people don't talk about as much as I think they should.

Joe Boland said...

I enjoyed Fright immensely. I read most of my Woolrich in my youth, but I've also read The Black Curtain in the last decade, and highly recommend it.

I have a perhaps-unfounded suspicion that a lot of people who really dig Woolrich are also a little embarassed by him. Whenever his name does come up in blogland, it's followed by comment about the illogic and coincidence that ruin his books -- but that always sounds to me like the protests of those trying to forget a book that really got under their skin.