Thursday, December 10, 2009

Where've you been?

1.Watching the Yankees win another World Series.
Congratulations to Derek Jeter. Nuts to the rest of ya.

2.Dealing with matters not germane to this blog.

3.Barely reading.
This is just the pits, man.

4.Watching horror movies.
I misspent most of my adolescence at the drive-in, watching DePalma and Cronenberg and John Carpenter flicks, and all the god-awful slasher-trash on the bottom half of those double features, and I still favor horror movies over any other genre; I do.

Quick, which do you remember: Jane Fonda’s lauded performance in Coming Home, or Sissy Spacek (or Piper Laurie!) in Carrie?

I watched twenty-odd recent horror flicks over the past couple months, and I’d re-watch the least of them before subjecting myself to Funny People again.

Here’s two I can recommend without much qualification:

The House of the Devil would have fit right in at the Drive-In Algiers in 1979. Pretty girl wanders alone through creepy house. Perfect, right through the end credits.

Also features a nice turn by Greta Gerwig, the star of many of the films from the oft-reviled "Mumblecore" scene (i.e. Hannah Takes The Stairs, Baghead). She has the P.J. Soles role here, and makes the line "I had to, like, look at a map" a lot funnier than it has any right to be. (She co-stars with Ben Stiller in Noah Baumbach's (The Squid and The Whale, Margot At The Wedding) next movie.)







The online review that convinced me to watch Grace assured readers that, whatever they believed in, the movie was against it.

I have nothing to add.

No comments: