Thursday, March 25, 2010

Justified

Favorite scene in the premier of Justified: a lowlife halfwit in short pants, sporting the worst mullet to ever appear on television, walks through the front door of the house of a woman he means to kidnap: he calls out her name, then notices U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant, excellent) standing in the front hall. You don’t walk into a person’s house uninvited, Raylan tells him. Now go back out on the porch and knock. If Ava wants to see you, I’ll let you in.

I’ll go out, the halfwit says. But I’m comin’ back in.

He runs the length of the long front walk to his car. Raylan follows, watches him fumble a pistol-grip shotgun out of the car and start pushing in shells. Raylan continues to walk straight at him.

What are you doin? I got a scattergun pointed straight at you!

Think you can rack it before I put a hole in you? Raylan asks.

And we see the halfwit try to think about it. He’s still frozen there when Raylan grabs the barrel of the shotgun and pushes, popping him in the nose with the stock. Bloodied and thrown up against the car, the halfwit protests, his voice breaking and betraying a lifetime worth of frustration and humiliation: “I don’t git you!”

....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ads looked good, but this little re-creation did more to make me want to see the show than anything yet.
Missed it so far. Dammit.
Won't miss it now.

Hope you're good, Joe.

Hocking

Ian C. said...

I keep waiting for an opportunity where I could use the line, "If you make me pull, I'll put you down."

Not surprisingly, I have yet to find the proper context.

Joe Boland said...

I just watched this episode again, and have to report I got some nuances wrong up above. But that's just tribute to how exciting the show was...